Assistant Water Treatment Plant Operator
Closes On: March 3, 2023 at 04:30 PM EST
|Days:||Sun., Mon., Tue., Wed., Thu., Fri., Sat.|
Definition of Class
DEFINITION OF CLASS
This is both semi-skilled and skilled work leading to promotion to Water Treatment Plant (WTP) Operator. Employees in this class perform dual roles: 1) training for the full time job of Water Treatment Plant Operator, and 2) acting as relief operator on an assigned shift. This class is used to prepare employees to undertake the full responsibilities of Water Treatment Plant Operator as vacancies occur. Employees work under the general supervision of a licensed WTP Operator. Employees are expected to become proficient in the routine operation of the WTP within six (6) months of employment; at that time, the employee may work absent of direct supervision. Promotion to Water Treatment Plant Operator shall be contingent on successful work performance and attainment of Class IV certification by the Tennessee Department of Environment and Conservation as a Water Treatment Plant Operator. Individuals with operator experience will be hired at the WTP Operator level. This is a safety-sensitive position.
Salary DOE/ DOQ.
Essential Duties Performed
|100% - ESSENTIAL DUTIES PERFORMED|
• Assists with collecting samples, lab analyses, and overall treatment plant operations;
• Trouble-shoots mechanical, electrical, and electronic / computer equipment and performs maintenance on the same;
• Works rotating shifts & Holidays as needed;
• Works after-hours call-in and overtime hours as required or assigned;
• Subject to call-in for specified emergencies;
• Reports to work as scheduled and on time, even under inclement weather conditions;
• With demonstrated competence, works as primary WTP operator on a relief basis;
• Operates automobiles, pickup trucks, and other automotive equipment.
|• Responsible for dispatching after-hour calls, contacting the appropriate on-call personnel, maintaining service request forms, etc.;|
• Assists maintenance craft personnel in performing their duties;
• Cleans, paints and maintains water plant buildings and other assigned facilities;
• Mows, trims and performs general grounds maintenance work;
• Performs related work as required;
• Serves on various employee teams.
Minimum Education Requirements
|MINIMUM EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS|
Graduation from a standard senior high school or possession of a General Equivalency Diploma (G.E.D.). Emphasis in mathematics and/or science is preferred. Preference also given to candidates having one or more of the following:
• Associates and/or Bachelors degree in math, sciences and/or engineering or applicable post-secondary education in these or other water treatment related field(s);
• Associates Degree and/or Technical School Certificate in electronics.
• Possession of a valid driver's license issued by the State of Tennessee.
• Ability to obtain Grade IV Water Treatment Operator certification from the Tennessee Department of Environment and Conservation. For employees with no post-secondary education, this certification shall be obtained within seven (7) years of employment; with an applicable Associate’s Degree, five (5) years; with an applicable Bachelor’s degree three (3) years. Seven-year requirement for non-degreed personnel may be reduced with completion of applicable post-secondary coursework.