Operations Technology Engineer
Closes On: November 12, 2021 at 05:00 PM EST
Job Status: Full-Time
Definition of Class
This is professional, technical, and managerial work associated with implementing, maintaining, operating and expanding the Electric Department’s complex computer systems including but not limited to: supervisory control and data acquisition (SCADA) system, outage management system (OMS), advanced metering infrastructure (AMI), and other critical operational applications. Employee in this class is responsible for providing technical support for the Electric Department’s communications network hardware, server computers, substation / distribution automation equipment, and other power system monitoring and control software. Within a short time of employment, the incumbent is expected to attain a general working knowledge of the Department's operations, resulting in the exercise of independent judgment in carrying out work assignments. Employee may oversee the work of subordinate engineering assistants. Work in this class is supervised directly by the Electric Director. This is a safety-sensitive position and requires periodic and random drug testing.
Essential Duties Performed
- Administers the operation, maintenance, cohesion, upgrade, and troubleshooting of the Electric Department’s operational applications including but not limited to : SCADA, OMS, AMI, GIS, DMS, and other critical applications;
- Oversees and provides technical support for the operation, maintenance, and troubleshooting of the Department’s fiber network (MACNET) infrastructure along with all the associated network hardware (servers, routers, etc.);
- Provides technical support for the Department’s engineering modeling software, along with performing occasional basic modeling exercises to assist in electric system master planning;
- Develops, implements, and maintains new operational applications as needs arise;
- Trains Electric Department staff on any and all of the Department’s operational applications;
- Interfaces with the City’s Information Technology (IT) personnel to efficiently utilize hardware and network resources in support of the Electric Department’s operational applications;
- Subject to an on-call basis to provide support when any one or combination of applications are non-operational;
- Attends necessary training, and periodic industry conferences to keep abreast of trends and evolving products in the electric industry;
- Performs analysis and makes recommendations for technology improvements and coordinates projects through procurement, installation and implementation;
- Demonstrates reliable attendance - must report to work as scheduled and on time.
OTHER DUTIES PERFORMED
- Handles special projects, studies and investigations as assigned;
- Performs related work as required;
- Serves on various employee teams and professional groups.
Minimum Education Requirements
- Graduation from an accredited four (4) year college or university with a bachelor's degree in Electrical Engineering, Computer Science, or Computer Information Systems; and
- At least five (5) years of related experience in electrical power systems.