The City of Alcoa is seeking highly qualified candidates for the position of Accountant. This position performs professional cost accounting and reporting of utility records, assets, general ledgers, and other information. The incumbent assists the Finance Department with the preparation of the Annual Comprehensive Financial Report (ACFR) and the City’s annual budget. Reviews and maintains monthly revenue reports, analyzes trends, advises appropriate action necessary for departments to maintain/enhance revenue flow. Evaluates best practices and industry trends related to rate structuring, financial planning, and fee structures. Works closely with Payroll, Accounts Payable and the Business Office with payment requests, balancing of accounts and daily deposits.
Essential Duties Performed
ESSENTIAL DUTIES PERFORMED
- Financial reporting for Alcoa Electric and other funds of the City
- Documents financial activities for Alcoa Electric and other City departments
- Assists with the preparation of the ACFR and the Annual Budget for the City
- Produces computer spreadsheets, codes materials, updates labor charges; distributes labor, overhead equipment and contract labor cost;
- Documents, updates and summarizes ledger accounts;
- Prepares vouchers for payment of accounts payable;
- Assists with the preparation of payroll distribution for employees;
- Helps maintain journals and accounts on Alcoa Electric department and other funds, balances and verifies classifications, totals, produces report;
- Verifies and balances work in progress;
- Verifies and enters work order information;
- Researches discrepancies and reclassifies work order charges;
- Summarizes information and generates reports in work order accounting;
- Responsible for cash flow/investments of Alcoa Electric and other funds;
- Monthly Landfill reconciliation (General Ledger to Landfill Software);
- Monthly Landfill cut-off and penalties;
- Submit the monthly sales tax for Electric;
- Must report to work as scheduled and on time.
OTHER DUTIES PERFORMED
- Performs other duties as assigned;
- Makes daily bank deposits;
- Gives technical assistance to other office employees;
- Performs related work as required;
- Serves as a member of various employee teams.
Minimum Education Requirements
Graduation from an accredited four-year college or university with a degree in accounting or finance preferred. Closely related fields in business or public administration will be considered. One (1) year of responsible accounting or finance work; or any equivalent combination of education and experience.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
|Knowledge, Skills and Abilities-|
- Knowledge of the principles, practices and methods of accounting with particular preference to utility accounting;
- Knowledge of modern office procedures, practices, and equipment, particularly applied to accounting and bookkeeping operations;
- Ability to analyze and interpret fiscal and accounting records and prepare accurate and complete financial and statistical statements and reports;
- Ability to follow and use established accounting procedures and necessary analytical information to document financial activity;
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees and the general public.
- Working knowledge of modern governmental accounting theory, principles, and practices;
- Working knowledge of internal control procedures, management information systems; and computerized financial applications;
- Some knowledge of public finance and fiscal planning;
- Working knowledge of payroll and accounts payable functions;
- General knowledge of budgetary, accounting and reporting systems, GAAFR, GAAP and GASB knowledge helpful;
- Ability to prepare, document and analyze complex financial reports; ability to maintain efficient and effective financial accounting systems and procedures; ability to accurately account for city and electric funds;
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees and ability to communicate effectively, orally and in writing.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls; and reach with hands and arms.
The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus.
The duties described in this job description are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not excuse them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position.
The job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the job change.