JOINT STATEMENT FROM THE CITY OF ALCOA AND CITY OF MARYVILLE
Solar Companies: What to Look for When Searching for Solar Energy
[Alcoa, TN—Maryville, TN] – The Alcoa and Maryville Electric Departments are teaming together to bring awareness on solar energy and how to search for the best option for your home. Options for solar are continuing to evolve and become a viable option for customers, with many promoting green energy and aiming to save money overtime. The Alcoa and Maryville Electric Departments want customers to find the energy that fits their needs the best while also making sure our rate payers have the most updated, transparent information available on solar energy. There are many solar companies servicing the Blount County area, and one of the best ways to find more information on solar energy is using TVA resources and guidelines.
What to look for when searching for a solar company
Searching for solar energy that fits your household needs is similar to finding providers for upgrades and repairs—the company you choose is on your terms. When searching for a solar company, try to use these steps in finding the right fit for your home energy needs:
- Get quotes from more than one company to ensure you are not being oversold on products.
- Read your contract closely to make sure the service is exactly what you want.
- Ask questions when the process or contract language is not clear.
- Check the installers business and insurance licenses to ensure it is in date and that all local, state, and federal requirements are met.
- Request the installers to provide examples of similar installations and evidence of proposed long-term savings and maybe even testimonials from actual previous clients.
- Check with your current electric provider to see what solar capabilities are needed for your residence.
Using Green Connect
Green Connect, offered through TVA, is a program that ensures the solar company you use has been vetted and the products offered are in compliance with TVA standards. How does this process work? TVA lists a step-by-step guide to follow when looking to install solar through Green Connect:
“1. Learn more about your installation options through free online Green Connect solar trainings, and review the list of Quality Contractor Network (QCN) installers. We recommend obtaining at least three quotes.
2. Complete a Green Connect application for interconnection and pay any necessary fees.
3. Set up a time for your contractor to install the panels. A Green Connect home energy advisor from your local power company or TVA will then verify your installation to ensure that it is installed to TVA program standards.
4. Start producing solar power and decreasing your environmental impact!”
To get started, you can register at www.GreenConnect.com or call 1-(866) 673-4340.
Who to call for more information
If you are interested in buying solar, please find more information on the TVA’s Green Energy program: https://www.tva.com/energy/valley-renewable-energy. This resource provides a solar calculator to show how solar might impact your residence’s power consumption.
For Alcoa Electric customers, please call (865) 380-4700 for clarification on solar capabilities at your residence.
For Maryville Electric customers, please call (865) 273-3456 for clarification on solar capabilities at your residence.